I've always struggled to pull off a messy bun. You know the ones I'm talking about, the buns that look effortless, like, "Oh, I just didn't have time to do my hair today, so I just put it up." Which we all know is a lie. Those little tendrils, that fall around the face just so, the slight volume at the crown, so hair doesn't look slicked back - it's really an art form. I've always been incredibly envious of those who can make a simple knot look impossibly chic and fresh for years now. But while reading Us Weekly, Whitney Port gave a hair tutorial letting us know how she pulls off her topknot bun. She explains:
- Apply volumizer to create a lift at the hairline.
- Wrap the front section of hair around a curling iron.
- Pull up hair into a genie pony tail.
- Split the pony into 4 sections, looping each towards the center of the bun.
- Place pins to hold the bun.
I was a bit confused by the directions, but once I played around with it, I found it really did create a wonderful little bun! It's been perfect on hot days when I want to look put together but don't want to deal with my hair.